Skip to main content

Getting our heads above the clouds

My drive to and from work each day is about 40 minutes each way. During that drive, on very quiet Scottish country roads, I often think about the working day ahead, or consider the working day that has just ended. I have always found it useful to mull over the up-coming events of the day, when I know what these are, and also to unwind and divest myself of the issues that have occupied my attention during the day. Both useful strategies for headteacher well-being and allowing me to switch off and unwind at the end of very busy days. The fact that the countryside I drive through each day is absolutely stunning in no small way helps me gather my thoughts and keep a perspective. The rolling hills of Southern Scotland one way, and the majesty of the Cumbrian Fells and Lake District the other, mark the skyline of my journey. I am a lucky person, with a dream job and a dream drive to and from it.

This week my journey has been marked by frost, ice and mist. The first bite of winter has seen temperatures plummet to a very chilly -7 degrees centigrade. Not always are my thoughts occupied by the immediacy of my own role, often they range further afield and today was one of those days.

As I drove home this afternoon the hills were shrouded in mist and fog, with the tops of some just managing to appear above the blanket of dense opaque water vapour. On this drive home, and in this scenery, I began to think of metaphors for where we are currently in Scottish education. Like my own immediate journey, we face a journey of ups and downs and twists and turns in education. Perhaps, like many a day on my trip, we may think this is very familiar and we have been here before. The sudden appearance of deer, sheep, badgers and foxes on the road ahead may represent some of  the personalities we might come across on our own journey?

The deer could be those fleet footed but flighty souls, who are a bit jumpy and don't stay in one place for very long. Then there are the blind followers of the sheep, who are always looking for someone else to take the lead, often following unthinking and plodding along behind the leader. We also may recognise colleagues who only appear at dawn or dusk and then disappear for the rest of the day, badger like. They can still can still give a a nasty bite to the unwary. Then there are the cunning, fox like, individuals, who know how to survive and make the most out of the system, always assuming they avoid the 'hounds' of QIOs, Inspectors and senior managers hell bent on holding them to account. Every day I see a whole host of birds, owls and buzzards in particular. The owls of course have seen it all before. They take their time before coming to a considered decision and are not renowned for fleetness of movement or high energy levels. They don't miss much though. The buzzards are the high fliers. They take to the skies and soar above everyone else. Often alone and aloof they look down on everyone else, as they scan the horizon for the next big, or little, thing.

Seeing the hills which were poking their heads above the cloud base made me think about the individuals in the system who are often invisible and unsung most of the time, but now and again manage to get their heads above the fog of everything they are told to do, as they try to have their voice heard. Such are the people you find on Twitter, and the people you who might attend Teechmeets and Pedagoo events on a Saturday. There, not because someone had told them or paid them to be there, but because they want to be there because of their passion and commitment to their role and the profession. They are using their voice to contribute to system leadership and development and are not there because their job title indicates that perhaps they should be. They care.

Such events on Saturdays, or after school, are a chance to engage with others who also need their fix of collaborative energy and to breathe the fresh air of unfettered and prescribed professional and personal development, shaped to match their own values and context and not somebody else's model of what education should look like. Recognise yourself or any of your colleagues in any of this? Tomorrow, I will be getting my fix of such collaborative energy as I attend an Enquiry meet in Edinburgh. Probably won't see any deer, sheep, foxes or badgers there. There will be plenty of colleagues, like myself, just trying to get our heads above the clouds of the day job to see the possibility of what could and can be. I might even see you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Six Qualities of Educational Leadership

I wrote a post a few weeks ago (The six tasks of leadership 12/12/15) following an article about Sir Tim Brighouse, who had identified what he thought were the six key tasks for school leaders. My own list was a bit different to Tim's but it also set me thinking about what might be the qualities you would look for in high performing school leaders. I give you my six as a stimulus for discussion and perhaps your own consideration of what qualities we should look for in school leaders. The first is authenticity. I believe all school leaders need to be authentic and to really walk the walk of their talk. There can be nothing so dispiriting for school community members than being led by a leader who says one thing but does another. Remember to say what you mean and mean what you say. I think the highest performing leaders possess emotional awareness. They know themselves well and they know the people they lead well too. They understand the importance of relationships and how to ta

Evaluation: a process, not an event

Throughout my time as a school leader, and since, I have wrestled with the challenge of evaluation, in terms of measuring the impact of change, in a way which is meaningful and useful . Early in my career, such evaluation was very much viewed as an event, or events, that happened towards the end of a project, or piece of work, usually occurring towards the end of a school year. This was often a time filled with lots of scrabbling around looking for 'evidence' that could be put into some sort of report aimed at different different audiences. It felt stressful, concocted at times and often disconnected from the whole change agenda. Evaluation was a thing to be endured at the end of something else, with its main purpose consisting of proving you had been doing something to different people. Some of these would take what you gave them, and put that into their own 'evaluation report' for a cluster of schools, a local authority, or even a national system. A major issue with

Some thoughts for new student teachers

  Having gained a host of new followers on Twitter, who are either completing PGDE, or other student teacher qualifications, got me thinking about the advice, thoughts, comments I would give to those embarking on their own professional learning journey.   It is heart-warming to see, and hear, the enthusiasm of new entrants into the profession. They are passionate about their career path, and are constantly enthusing about the high quality input they are receiving from lecturers, professors of education and practitioners. My first piece of advice would to use those feelings as a touchstone, to go back to and revisit, throughout your career, but especially when you are facing challenges. Teaching is one of the most satisfying and rewarding professions to be involved in, but throughout your career you will encounter a myriad of challenges, and during these times it is often worth your while reminding yourself of why you came into the profession, and re-consider your early enthusiasms.   W