Skip to main content

1000 Years of Experience

I returned to teaching in 1992, having only completed one year when I qualified in 1976. So I have some twenty three years of experience in education and another sixteen years in business and commerce. My last fifteen years have been as a headteacher and I have learned so much, and continue to do so, that I wish I knew when I started in teaching and leadership that I know now. I share these thoughts with you all and my younger self.
I have always been an idealist and a bit of a late developer in everything I have tackled in my career and am still developing now. My first thought would be:

  • Stay true to your values and principles. These will develop over time, but should be the touchstone for your practice and the demands placed upon you during your career. Stick with your instincts. If something doesn't feel right to you, it probably isn't. So, question what you are asked to do and whether it is the right thing to do.
  • Always remember why you wanted to be a teacher. For me it was to make a difference for all pupils, and because I love working with young people. When times are tough and you are facing challenges try to remember why you do what you do, and the difference it makes to so many lives.
  • Stay positive and ignore the negativity you will come across in individuals and some staffrooms. Find the positive people, who feel good about themselves and the work they do, and make sure they find you for the same reasons. 
  • Remember that in your classroom what is always the most important issue is learning. Not teaching, not curriculum, not the resource, not policy, or anything else, always learning. You probably only have a sketchy understanding of learning, so make it a priority that you get to understand learning and how your practice impacts on this. Everything else needs to be a support for the learning going on. If you find things impacting negatively on learning stop doing them and do something else.
  • Understand that career long professional development never ends and has no destination. It is best when focused on your practice and identified by yourself. It should be done by you, not to you. Resist the temptation to copy 'good practice' instead look to understand the principles that lie behind. Context is crucial and there are no 'one size fits all' solutions or magic bullets to school and individual development.
  • Beware of 'snake oil' salesmen offering to solve all your learning problems with the latest resource or programme.
  • You are in the best profession in the world. But, it's just a job so learn to prioritise professionally and privately. Work hard but play hard and have plenty of you and yours time. Stressed, tired teachers lead to stressed and tired learners who can't achieve their potential. Smile and laugh as often as you can. Accept that you won't get it right all of the time, but understand that is all part of learning. Don't try to hide your mistakes.
  • There is not a headteacher or senior leader who doesn't make mistakes or who has all the answers. If you are sat in a meeting thinking you must be the only one who doesn't understand what is being said, you are not.

No-one ever offered me such advice when I first started teaching. If they had, perhaps my development might have been a tad quicker at times, and I wouldn't have banged my head against so many metaphorical and real walls!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Six Qualities of Educational Leadership

I wrote a post a few weeks ago (The six tasks of leadership 12/12/15) following an article about Sir Tim Brighouse, who had identified what he thought were the six key tasks for school leaders. My own list was a bit different to Tim's but it also set me thinking about what might be the qualities you would look for in high performing school leaders. I give you my six as a stimulus for discussion and perhaps your own consideration of what qualities we should look for in school leaders. The first is authenticity. I believe all school leaders need to be authentic and to really walk the walk of their talk. There can be nothing so dispiriting for school community members than being led by a leader who says one thing but does another. Remember to say what you mean and mean what you say. I think the highest performing leaders possess emotional awareness. They know themselves well and they know the people they lead well too. They understand the importance of relationships and how to ta

Evaluation: a process, not an event

Throughout my time as a school leader, and since, I have wrestled with the challenge of evaluation, in terms of measuring the impact of change, in a way which is meaningful and useful . Early in my career, such evaluation was very much viewed as an event, or events, that happened towards the end of a project, or piece of work, usually occurring towards the end of a school year. This was often a time filled with lots of scrabbling around looking for 'evidence' that could be put into some sort of report aimed at different different audiences. It felt stressful, concocted at times and often disconnected from the whole change agenda. Evaluation was a thing to be endured at the end of something else, with its main purpose consisting of proving you had been doing something to different people. Some of these would take what you gave them, and put that into their own 'evaluation report' for a cluster of schools, a local authority, or even a national system. A major issue with

Some thoughts for new student teachers

  Having gained a host of new followers on Twitter, who are either completing PGDE, or other student teacher qualifications, got me thinking about the advice, thoughts, comments I would give to those embarking on their own professional learning journey.   It is heart-warming to see, and hear, the enthusiasm of new entrants into the profession. They are passionate about their career path, and are constantly enthusing about the high quality input they are receiving from lecturers, professors of education and practitioners. My first piece of advice would to use those feelings as a touchstone, to go back to and revisit, throughout your career, but especially when you are facing challenges. Teaching is one of the most satisfying and rewarding professions to be involved in, but throughout your career you will encounter a myriad of challenges, and during these times it is often worth your while reminding yourself of why you came into the profession, and re-consider your early enthusiasms.   W